Tuesday, June 1, 2010

D-Day...Entry from the East....


 
My inspiration came from a beautiful hanging basket of pansies and other flowers I got for Mother's Day. After doing the purple flower I put it on the mantel and thought about how it needed a big red partner in crime to really make it pop.  The next day I went and bought another canvas and got started. I am a little ashamed at how much red paint is on this, no conservation here! I just kept going and going,  and what started as an "Oh, crap what have I done" ended up being my favorite piece.
I wish that my camera was really able to capture these better, but I actually like the glossy finish with the flash. Both paintings are acrylic on 16x20 canvas.


What I really loved about this Springtime challenge was using a ton of color and just going for it. I am usually so reserved and a little (very) sensitive about my work. In the last year I have really just started to let go of that blockage and really open up. What a truly liberating experience...making art for art's sake and not for anyone but yourself.  Like yoga on canvas...it's not about the end result, it's about the journey. I can say that in all honesty, this has been an amazing journey through lots of emotions and I feel as if I am just getting started.

1 comment:

  1. I love it Mandy, and echo your sentiments on being timid with my art but being able to let it go and just go for it! Cheers to a job well done.

    ReplyDelete