Thursday, August 12, 2010

Re-Coil: Do-Over

I did start this project whenever I made my last post. I sat in the yard, soaking up the sun and coiling away. I covered the off-kilter, lumpy pieces of clay in plastic, believing I'd come back to them soon and complete the project. Really, I just left them for dead in the garage. After a week they were too dry to continue building upon.

This last Monday, I forced myself to go to LoneSomeVille and start over. Having my tools and an environment devoted to clay really helped. I simplified my design. The clay still took me down an unexpected path, but this time I embraced it. I've blocked out time Saturday morning to go back and finish the last bit of it. Hopefully it will dry quickly with the pending heat wave and be fired this week. I could very possibly make the deadline!

In other news, I've been thinking about art a ton lately. Making it. Marketing it. Selling it. The current obsession: turning my spare bedroom into a painting studio and just going for it. I'll be broke, but I'm thinking it will be worth it. Another post with details coming soon. Stay tuned for photos of the coil project in progress...

1 comment:

  1. Hey, the good thing about being broke is it will force you to stay home and create:) I have to go glaze my piece soon...

    ReplyDelete