Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Coloring Outside of the Blog

I'm feeling sort of pensive this evening so I'm channeling those thoughts into a post here. I'm two CWP projects deep and have nothing new to report. Mandy's "Bloom" painting got some love last week while I was on stay-cation (or clay-cation as one friend dubbed it). I'm actually quite satisfied with the direction it's heading. So far, I've kept the colors the same, but have inflicted my pseudo-pointillist style upon it. I love the sense of movement and texture applying the paint this way provides. It's back in the holding pattern for now, but I'm close to the finish line on it for sure!

Sketchbook Project? (Deep breath) Let's not talk about that right now.

So, if the aforementioned projects have received minimal creative attention, what have I been up to, you may ask. Well, I have rekindled my love affair with clay. I finally sprung for a shared studio space with twenty-four hour access so that I can create anytime I feel the urge. At first I was skeptical of the artists co-op environment, but after two weeks of spending many hours a day there, I'm happy to report I think it's fantastic! While working at Lonesomeville was a lovely experience, there certainly were creative restrictions. Working around other clay artists gives me ideas and the opportunity to learn new tricks. So far all the folks at Radius have been great.

I worked diligently all last week, throwing mostly 2 lb. plates and bowls, with a side of giant platters and smallish vases. I also have two cake plates ready to fire and I'm curious to see if either of them survive. There was a third that cracked today before even getting near a kiln. The nature of the beast with clay. With the Give Good Art Sale a mere 12 days away, I'll admit I'm a little nervous about the outcome of my clay creations.

Tomorrow, all that greenware (around 50 pieces, last I counted) is heading for a bisque firing. Think of me fondly as you eat your Thanksgiving dinner, chances are I'll be headed to the studio to unload that kiln. Will it be like Christmas morning or more like that time my brother ripped the heads off of my Barbie dolls and threw them in the pool? Your guess is as good as mine. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment