Sunday, March 20, 2011

And We're Back!

Yikes. Nothing has been posted here since December. Talk about being remiss in my bloggerly duties! What can I say? Sometimes life happens, and those happenings make me sort of neglectful of some of my projects. (Shrugs shoulders) I've also been known to take on way too much at a time, but that is besides the point.

So yeah. The good news is that I have been busy connecting with other creative souls to talk about and make art. When I think back to the origins of this blog: a mutual need for creative accountability, well, I guess I have been applying that same need to my day to day interactions too, I just haven't been good about sharing those endeavors here.


I'm lucky enough to have stumbled into some pretty talented social circles here in Portland. It's one of the things I really felt like I was missing in my old life back east. This city oozes creativity though. And in the last year or so, I have met some really inspirational and creative people. I've even embarked on some creative experiments with some of them.
  • Foley is an incredibly talented artist who has a gift for drawing off the top of her head. I've always had to be looking at something for my inspiration, and am incredibly envious of her ability to simply create. She's open and funny and helps me to loosen up a bit in my own work. Foley is writing her first graphic novel. She posts pieces of it on her blog, Boy Howdy, and her work is damn sexy! Our collaborative project will be called "Sex Pots"- her drawings on my clay pots. Don't understand the title? You will after you look at her blog.
  • My friend Damon, is a photographer who uses medium and large format film. He shoots architecture and other urban scenery. The beauty of his work is that he reinterprets the photos by cutting and rearranging them. Sweet symmetrical beauty. Of course, I've always been a fan of symmetrical anything- I find the implied order it creates very comforting; this might make me biased. Current plan is to combine his symmetrical images with my plates and other clay forms. I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you. Check Mr. Sneed's work here.
I've also met folks who are constantly making work: watercolor, sketching, colored pencils, slip cast clay forms, music making, collage, acrylic- you name it and it's happening all around me. It's all very inspirational. Now I just need more hours in the day and/or days in the week. I'll tell you, this full time job thing is for the birds!

Mandy and I will be back on making projects together here soon. We chatted yesterday and she reminded me of a collage project from college that I barely remember, but it got the wheels turning and now I'm noodling a little collage experiment for us. I'm heading out of town on a business trip tomorrow, so it will have to keep until I return. Think magazines, scissors, glue, lots of little pieces. Anyone have a challenge to offer up?

No comments:

Post a Comment