Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ancient Egyptians Did It: Coil That Is

I was in NYC recently on a business trip but managed to squeeze in some fun time too. My uncle has always loved Egyptian history, art and artifacts so we found ourselves at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to check out Tutankhamun's Funeral exhibit. While I'm fascinated by the relics and culture of these ancient people, I usually prefer more modern and painterly art for inspiration. This time around I thought I'd look at the decorative patterns used on the surfaces of vessels and funerary items to use in future ceramic endeavors.

As I was passing through a section of ancient pottery dating back to 3,500 B.C., I was pleasantly surprised to see two vessels that looked very similar to the coil projects Mandy and I just completed. Nothing like a little ancient validation. Check it out. Perhaps we're on to something after all? We can call it Egyptian Revival...



No comments:

Post a Comment